The Autobiography of a Neem Tree

 The Autobiography of a Neem Tree


 I am a Neem tree. My scientific name is Azadiracta indica. I was born in a dilapidated compound in the Egmore area of Madras in 1985. I am an Indian. We don't survive in cold climates. The hot and humid Indian climate is our favourite climate. This is our home. 

  The beauty of India is a sensory delight to us. We love the myriad colours of India. The fragrant rosewood and sandalwood trees are my close friends.

  We love to contribute to everyone's health. We have been used by generations of Indians to kill bacteria and fungi. Farmers love us! Our leaves are the most potent insecticides and fungicides. The bark of Neem is used in a wide variety of medicinal preparations. Our flowers are used in Indian cooking. Our wood can be used as firewood, too. 

  We are very useful. My whole community serves the variegated interests of mankind. Yet, human beings scarcely recognise our need for water. It is summer time and we feel thirsty (just like you!) all the time. We don't blame people. All are busy - studying or pursuing their careers! We hear that lessons on science, maths, history and geography are taught in schools! Do they teach students about selflessness and generosity? I suppose they do!


    We trees🌳🌳are usually, a happy lot! I have little white flowers all over me, every April and May! We neither go to schools nor visit doctors. We are always happy and healthy!😇


    I am happiest when little birds make their nests on me. I enjoy the mild evening breeze, while listening to the songs 🎵 of the pretty birds. We enjoy listening to all kinds of music! Life is quite interesting. Everything is quite all right, today. I hope everything remains like this, always!🙏


S.Padmapriya

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

நிகரற்ற நடிகர் சிவாஜி கணேசன்! Sivaji Ganesan

Poem: The Breaking of the Bastille

உலக தொலைநோக்கு பார்வையாளர் - பண்டிட் தீன் தயாள் உபாத்யாயா ஜி