Alligator on my bed

Alligator on my bed



  I could not believe that it was happening to me. Here I was, lying on my cot after waking up on a Sunday morning, staring into the eyes of an alligator! I guessed it was an American alligator. I had seen one in the Madras Crocodile Bank. I had also seen a few on National Geographic channel.
       My initial thought was that I was just hallucinating. I attributed my ‘hallucination’ to a diabetic condition, which I was suffering from. But I was wrong. The only other ‘alligator’ with whom I had ever shared my bed was my husband but that ‘alligator’ had gone abroad for a week on official business. I just couldn’t believe that all these things were happening to me and I began to shake my head. “This can’t be happening to me. It can’t be true,” I said to myself. But well it was.  Meanwhile, the alligator was continuing to look at me. For a minute, my silly mind told me that it was the alligator, which was scared and not me. But that spurt of madness within me did not last long (thankfully!). The way the alligator was looking at me seemed so awful. It was not a very big alligator. It was of a medium length. It must have been around 4 feet long. It looked at me with open jaws and dark eyes. But for some strange reason, it did not attack me. Things seemed still peaceful and workable. The alligator did not show any signs of wanting to bite my head off!
Suddenly, I realised that my mobile was just six inches away from me! In my mental mayhem, I had not realised that my phone was so close to me. I called up my friend, Sanjeev from ‘Prani’, an animal rescue and rehabilitation centre. I quickly blurted out about what was happening between me and my morning companion. He was incredulous and thought that I might have drunk too much, the previous night!
          I lay as quiet as a mouse on my bed, waiting for my friend to arrive. I was relieved to hear the sound of his footsteps in a short while. Sanjeev was a trained herpetologist. I need not have worried so much. He caught the alligator, in a matter of minutes. “How did an alligator come to my home?” I wondered.  But just then, all I wanted to do was to brush my teeth and have my morning cup of coffee!

Dr.S.Padmapriya

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

நிகரற்ற நடிகர் சிவாஜி கணேசன்! Sivaji Ganesan

Poem: The Breaking of the Bastille

உலக தொலைநோக்கு பார்வையாளர் - பண்டிட் தீன் தயாள் உபாத்யாயா ஜி